Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Critical Eyes


Critical Eyes

Your eyes
are daggers cutting deeply-
Don't you judge
you don't even know me!
Who are you...
to think of me as lowly?
I'm not as bad
as you portray me to be.
What do I
have to do to please you?
I try so hard
but my best is lacking, too.
Can I ever win
your respect or admiration?
That ironic grin
hides such condemnation.
It's no wonder
I stopped trying to impress-
there's no winning!
you'll never know real happiness.
I hope you're okay
with making me feel so wrong...
This life is short
but your disapproval is long.
I'm leaving now
because I can't take this anymore.
I put down the mirror
but my critic followed me out the door.

08/02/2006

Tracking the elusive self esteem......

2 comments:

neicybelle said...

oh kristi...that was hard to read...i can't imagine how hard that was to write...

Kristi K. said...

It was one of those things that had to be said, I think. I truly am my own worst critic. It's funny, because I read it to Josh, my oldest, and he said he understood from the beginning verses that it was me I was talking about. Am I that transparent to them? Wow. What a revelation.