Thursday, January 11, 2007

God's Boxes

A friend sent me this via email forward. I don't know who wrote this, but I thought it was lovely, and figured I'd share. Having not posted to this blog in months, I figured it was high time to update it. :)

God's Boxes

I have in my hands two boxes,
Which God gave me to hold.
He said, "Put all your sorrows in the black box,
And all your joys in the gold."

I heeded His words and in the two boxes,
Both my joys and sorrows I stored,
But though the gold became heavier each day,
The black was as light as before.

With curiosity, I opened the black box,
I wanted to find out why,
And I saw in the base of the box, a hole,
Which my sorrows had fallen out by.

I showed the hole to God, and mused,
"I wonder where my sorrows could be?"
He smiled a gentle smile and said,
"My child, they're all here with me.."

I asked God, why He gave me the boxes,
Why the gold and the black with the hole? "
the gold is for you to count your blessings,
The black is for you to let go."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I read it a few weeks ago in a newsletter that got thrown out and I always meant to get it again so that I could make a framed copy for my mother. Looks like my search is ended! Thanks again!